On Thursday, the 18th of November/2nd of December 2016, the Holy and Sacred Synod convened under the chairmanship of His Beatitude Theophilos, Patriarch of Jerusalem.
The Synod looked at various topics regarding the Patriarchate and approved the following:
- His Beatitude proposed that Acting Dragoman, Archimandrite Mathew, be appointed a member of the Holy and Sacred Synod, after which Archimandrite Mathew, made the necessary oath, thanked the Patriarch and received His blessing and the blessings of the members of the Synod.
- The Synod finalized the process of accession to the Hagiotaphite Brotherhood of Joachim, former Metropolitan of Zambia, having canonically left the Patriarchate of Alexandria, conferring upon him the title of Metropolitan of Helenoupolis.
- His Beatitude appointed Hieromonk Euphrosynos as teacher at the Patriarchal School of the Holy Sion.
- The Synod appointed Archimandrite Nephon, hegumen in Remli, as President of Jerusalem’s Ecclesiastical Court of First Instance.
- The Synod decided that Hierodeacon Onuphrios, serving at Mount Sarantarion, and deacon Psara Dahabra, serving in Amman, be ordained as Presbyters.
- The Synod divested deacon Synesios from the rank of a deacon and demoted him to the order of laymen, for having arbitrarily left the brotherhood.
On the afternoon of the 14th/27th of November 2016, a music event performed by the Choir of St James the Brother of God Cathedral and “Branko” Choir of the Patriarchate of Serbia took place in the auditorium of Notre Dame Hotel, near the New Gate. The event was hosted by the Patriarchate of Jerusalem. (More…)
On Tuesday, the 16th/29th of November 2016, the Patriarchate observed the memory of St Philoumen the Hagiotaphite and Hieromartyr at Jacob’s Well, the site of his martyrdom.
Hailing from Orounta, Cyprus, St Philoumen, Hagiotaphite since a young age, was serving as hegumen at Jacob’s Well when, in 1979, he was attacked by a fanatic Jew and suffered death at the chapel near the Well.
He was canonized by the Church of Jerusalem in 2009, on the site where the Lord had revealed Himself to the Samaritan woman. His relic is kept at the chapel dedicated to his name, to the south of St Photini Church, built by the hegumen, Hieromonk Ioustinos. To the north side of the church, a chapel has been attached, dedicated to St Ioustinos, philosopher and martyr from Nablus. (More…)
On the afternoon of Sunday, the 14th/27th of November 2017, a forty-member group of the Hellenic Air Force, particularly of the 383 Special Operations and Air Fire Fighting Squadron, accompanied by the representative of the Greek Embassy to Israel, Mr Broumas, visited the Patriarchate. Over recent days, the group had provided active and effective support to the extinguishment of the extensive wildfire that broke out in the city of Haifa.
The group was warmly welcomed by H.B. Theophilos, Patriarch of Jerusalem, in the presence of Hagiotaphite Fathers, including the Assistant Sacristan of the Holy Sepulchre, Archimandrite Polycarpos, who had served in the Hellenic Air Force before joining the Hagiotaphite Brotherhood. Patriarch Theophilos praised officers for their decision to participate, at the risk of their own lives, in the extinguishment of the wildfires that had destroyed a large area of natural environment and the residences of approximately 70.000 people, now homeless. (More…)
Jerusalem, 14/27 of November 2016
THE ST. JACOB ORTHODOX CATHEDRAL CHOIR.
- Troparion of the Holy CrossTone I
O Lord, save Thy people.
And bless Thane inheritance
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians
Over their adversaries,
and by virtue of Thy cross.
Preserve Thy habitation.
- Who have received Baptism
As many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ Halleluiah
- Sunday of the Pentecost (Dismissal Hymn Tone 4)
Blessed art Thou, Christ our God Who hadst
made the fishermen most wise by sending down
upon the Holy Spirit, and by them didst, draw the world
into Thy net, Ο Merciful Lord, Gloiy to Thee..
- Kontakion of the Akathist
Unto you, Ο Theotokos, invincible Champion, your City, in thanksgiving ascribes the victory for the deliverance from sufferings. And having your might unassailable, free us from all dangers. So that we may try unto you:
Rejoice, Ο Bride Ever-Virgin.
- Troparion of The Birth of Jesus Christ (Tone 4)
Your Nativity, Ο Christ our God, Has shone to the
World the Light of Wisdom. For by it , those who worshipped the stars worshipped the stars, were taught by a Star lo adore You,
The Sun of Righteousness, And to know You,the Orient from on High. Ο Lord, groly to You.
Thy bridal Chamber, Ο my Saviour, do I behold all adorned, and a garment I have not that I may enter therein. Illumine the garment of my soul, Ο Giver of light, and save me.
- “O Pure Virgin”
2 Verses (Agni Parthene )
in Arabic hymn composed by Si. Nectarios of Aegina,
drawn from the Theotokarion ( Book of hymns to the Mother of God). (More…)